Sunday 16 November 2014

My Training - October


 220km  60km  12km  6 hours

After Ironman in September, the bike was stored away and training was more run focused ahead of the Beachy Head Marathon on the last Saturday of October. It wasn't the most intense month, what with tapering for the race and then easing back into training but certainly more than any October previous. I was also back running the following Monday post marathon, swiftly recovered and feeling fine.

Training in Berlin, ahead of the new job
Commuting home in dank, dark London

Running a decent time at Beachy Head wasn't the main cause for celebration in the month, rather my success in securing a new job...wait for it...at Hearst Magazines, who's publications include Runner's World and Men's Health. What are the chances. Now I can practically talk running and fitness 24/7. 


What this means for my training is that I now have no excuses not to train hard. Aside from the 50+ hours I was doing week in week out - good riddance - my commute is a lot less and I've a gym opposite the office allowing for pre, during and post-work workouts. I can easily fit in swim/run sessions and/or bike/run sessions with logistical ease, arriving home to my loving girlfriend a stinky, sweaty mess.

The pool at Marshall Street Leisure Centre

Now in the off-season I'm making a concerted effort to dedicate time to weight training in order to build up a stronger body for next year. I hope this will help my swimming primarily, but being a bit puny - like losing arm wrestling to girls, puny - it should benefit every discipline of racing. October saw me take my lunch breaks in the gym and it's all getting ritualised as part of my day. 

Aside from a Men's Health event I'm taking part in in November, my racing is over for the year but I'm looking to train just as hard regardless and for the first time hit January 1st feeling super, not sluggish. 

Next month, I'm hoping to join Victoria Park Harriers & Tower Hamlets Athletic Club now that I have a chance of making the 7pm midweek meets! Training with far more advanced athletes is what I need now to push me further. I should probably dust off Daria (my bike) and get back on the turbo trainer too.

Picture credits: HearstMagazines.co.uk; VisitLondon.com; Better.org.uk

Icons available here


No comments:

Post a Comment