Thursday 20 November 2014

Birthday Lust List

Another birthday, another "can you let me know what you want" reminder. Oh the romance and surprise that leaves us at childhood. Aside from the Gucci wallet/snazzy watch years, presents aren't a big deal until we hit that middle age power tool craze. Well for me as an able DIYer (I've fit carpets, installed kitchens, tiled bathrooms I'll have you know) I already have the cordless drill, jigsaw and belt sander. It's a bloody good job I'm into running and triathlon then - the sport where purchasing never ends.

Here's my birthday lust list for my impending anniversary:

1. Carbon Wheelset

When I first got into triathlon and heard that folk spent more on wheels than some men do on engagement rings, I scoffed and viewed it as ludicrous. Well, views change and though I have a monetary ceiling to my madness I'm going to upgrade. 

Choosing a particular wheelset is proving difficult with Wiggle alone offering 394 items under 'Performance Wheels'. Alternatively, I guess i could just learn to pedal faster!


The Dream - Zipp 808 Firecrest

An option - Campagnolo Bullet Ultra 80

Another option - Shimano Dura Ace C50

2. Head Torch

This one must be on everybody's birthday list right? Never did I think I'd be wanting for such a thing, I'll be honest. But then never did I think I'd be running a 100 mile race. So one requires t'other. Looks like Petzl runs the show here.


Don't be a dummy in the dark - Petzl Tikka R+

3. Hi Vis Jacket

From seeing in the dark to being seen in the dark, this one is important for my life expectancy I feel. Most of my running is done in darkness, so a little hi vis should protect me when running blind across the streets of Soho through Bethnal Green. Another mandatory piece of kit too for the 100 mile.


Run in the rain - Gore Mythos 2.0

4. Race Vest

Gone are the days when I could simply pop my keys in a back pocket and head out the door. Up until now I've managed quite well with a Camelbak hydration pack (and my girlfriend's crew support) but as I enter silly-distance racing I need more storage for nutrition and all-weather essentials. 


Not a flotation device - Salomon Advanced Skin Lab Hydro 5L

5. Cooler Get Up

Whilst I'll certainly look like a nerd when racing, I wish to retain some street cred in training. Below are some items I'll be working up a sweat in post-birthday.

I prefer running in compression shorts rather than baggies, so the beauty of this combo allows me to run happy knowing that my groin is not being analysed by half of Oxford Street. Terribly overpriced - which kind of makes me want them more - but Kilian wears them, so...


Salomon S-Lab Exo Twinskin Shorts

I'm eager to get 'fast(er)' and I'm upping my speed work. I've recently joined a running club and hope to get on the track at Mile End Stadium for some training sessions.


Nike Zoom Rival D 8 Running Spikes

Practically, everything Nike from Mr Porter.


Printed Dry-Fit Running T-Shirt

Grey Dry-Fit Running T-Shirt

Monochrome Windrunner Jacket

Dry-Fit 2-In-1 Printed Shorts

Swoosh Print Socks

Blue Elite Dry-Fit Socks
Fluo Elite Dry-Fit Socks

Oh and one last pressie; I'm going to get an Ironman tattoo...eh nah!



Picture credits: www.wiggle.co.uk, www.sportsshoes.com, www.mrporter.com, www.salomon.com, www.petzl.com, Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment