Thursday 18 December 2014

Roll on 2015...

I don't really mean that, but when it comes to running I'm kind of twitching at the thought of what next year will (hopefully) bring. Now in the depths of winter the race calendar is bare and it's all I can do but to train hard regardless. 

2014 shall be remembered as the year I completed my first Ironman - "Craig Norris you are an...", yeah yeah. But also a year in which I began to perform. Mediocre achievements as they were, I put down some credible performances this year of which I'm quite proud.

London 2 Brighton 100km - May 24th 

Possibly the worst weather I've ever been in, let alone run in. Past the half way mark I ran for 8km without seeing another runner, which was all new to me. Eventually finished in 12:02 (damn those 2 minutes) placing 25th - with my newly broken thumb.

Bowtie reception

Picnic Marathon - June 21st

An epic race. Respect to anyone who has completed The Picnic - there aren't many. Not the largest field but a 14th place felt incredible.

'M' for Man

Beachy Head Marathon - October 25th

An event I've taken part in on numerous occasions, this year managing to crack the 3:45 mark placing 70th in a strong and sizable field.

Sprint finish down the hill

Redricks Olympic Triathlon - September 7th

My BIGGEST result to date placing 4th (you don't need to worry that only 32 took part).

Just pipped the guy in red to the line

So next year...

London 2 Brighton 100km - May 23rd 2015

This shall be my 3rd attempt and after running a 13:33 in 2013 and the aforementioned 12:02 - you see where this is going - one hopes to record a nice 11 hour finish this time around. But conservative must I be, as three weeks later I'll be swapping kilometres for miles.

Not quite to the sea

Petzl South Downs Way 100 - June 13th 2015

This is really what 2015 is about for me - to complete my first 100 miler. To be on my feet for an entire day will be an incredible experience. I've got plans on what will follow, but until then I'm respectful of just what a step up this is.

That's Winchester to Eastbourne

Ironman Wales - September 13th 2015

Again, yes. Well there aren't many events around and such was the beauty of Tenby I sure as hell am not thinking of Bolton! It was quite evident this year that I need to pull my 'compression socks' up on the bike and in the sea. There are easy time gains to be had. I'll be aiming to knock off...an hour...but should it rain, I'll be happy with a minute.

What a start line

So, that's quite a wait until May. Over Christmas I'll look to book in some marathons/ultras for earlier in the year to give me some focus (and something decent to blog about!).

How's your race diary stacking up? What's the BIG goal for 2015?

No comments:

Post a Comment