Thursday 23 April 2015

Kører i København


"Pretty boring to be honest" was my response to the "So, how was Copenhagen?" greetings upon my return to work. The weather was glorious, the city is beautiful, but there really isn't anything major to see or do. You probably won't hear such a response from any other, I am a little odd. I just can't spend more than a day achieving 'nothing'. One must strike off entries on that to-do list. This is no doubt why I run as there's always a sense of achievement post run. 


Nyhavn

And on that subject, Copenhagen is a delight for the runner. Even more so for the cyclist. Where there are cycle lanes there are running lanes. Where there are more cyclists there are less vehicles. All factors aiding enjoyable running. Though you're more likely to be run-over by a bike in Copenhagen than a vehicle in London, I assure you!

Copenhagen is full of parks and waterways and therefore you are off tarmac much of the time in very non-urban environs. It is also very very light at this time of the year so a very early or a very late run out is possible and indeed glorious.

Across the three day (of achieving nothing) break, I managed three runs. They were as follows:

1. Around and around Kongens Have


Expert trimming in Kongens Have
Suensonsgade - Former Naval Barracks

Our hotel was located a 'pastries-throw' from this park, home to Rosenborg Castle. It made sense on the first morning to arise early for some nearby laps in case I found myself viewing too much of the city, thus ruining our discovery. A beautiful park, well tendered (the accountant in me might suggest 'over-staffed') with few fellow runners but swarms of cyclists circling the periphery. Everyone looked super happy and content, which isn't surprising given its 'Most Liveable City' accreditation.



2. Along The Lakes

Being a city of waterways, 'water' way to spend an hour running along The Lakes that enclose the North-West of the city. At around 6km, to loop the entirety offers a decent run out, far from repetitive. It was great for people watching, and it was here that I came across the propensity of the female Copenhagener to sunbathe in their bra. A cultural phenomena I hope one day to see in the recreational spots of England. 


Peblinge Sø

Again it doesn't feel like much of a running city, maybe that's due to the hoards of cyclists. That said, of those that were running, there was some scandalous white lower-limb lycra on show. Maybe that's due to the hoards of cyclists.

3. Ruddy hell, running around the Citadel

By far my favourite running spot in Copenhagen was that of the Citadel. One of the most serene places I've ever found myself, a place that warrants laying in the grass twiddling daisies and brushing cake crumbs off a picnic blanket. Of course, I just ran around it, though may have broken into a skip on occasion! The cobbled streets, the moat, the little windmill, the views, it was just delightful and in the evening haze as the sun set I really had to force myself off the gravel tracks back to the hotel.






You know what, Copenhagen was brilliant, thank-you for asking.

...ooh, and there's an Ironman there too.



Credits: http://monocle.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment