Sunday 5 October 2014

Welcome to Run Norris Run


I think about running most of my waking life and the people around me know this so I therefore talk about running most of my waking life.  It was time to start sharing my thoughts and stories on running (and triathlon) within the blogosphere.

Running was where it all began for me but I now doth venture into the land of swim, bike, run - inspo Chrissie Wellington, more to come on that.

After spectating for a couple of years, my first marathon was Beachy Head 2009.  I remember thinking it seemed the ultimate challenge and was seriously nervous about what lay ahead.  The weather was atrocious and my running get-up was basic to say the least, but I finished respectfully and bloody loved it!

Before I found lycra
Being a Londoner of course I've run the Flora Virgin Marathon a couple of times and it is there that my PB lies at 3:14.  I've never run another road marathon preferring the trail and the serenity it offers.

Was tempted to run home
The marathons racked up but it was one in particular that showed me just how much more of a challenge there was out there - The Picnic.  Billed as the 'toughest' marathon in the land, it was and is insane and I think only those that have run it can possibly understand its sheer joke of a route.

The start - 6000ft of height gain/loss
It was around this time in 2011 that I came across the term ultramarathon.  I was looking into joining a running club and whilst checking out the Serpentine website I came across James Adams who was running the breadth of America...jeez.  His endeavours inspired me to do a couple of 50s and eventually my first 100k from London to Brighton - this year I finished in 12:02 and placed 25th.


And it was still light
In addition to all the running, the past year has seen me put in some serious hours in the pool and on the bike all a result of an Ironman dream I've harboured for a few years.  More on triathlon later, but this happened last month and it is now official 'Craig Norris you are an Ironman'.

Warning: Triathlon ain't cheap
So what's next?

Well, for 2015 I have entered my first 100 mile ultramarathon - the South Downs Way 100.  Should I finish that in one piece, I'll be hoping to enter one of the big races; (and it seems odd to put my name to these) GUCRSpartathlon, UTMB, Badwater (if they allow it back).  There is so much out there and I am in absolute awe of the ladies and gentlemen who partake in these races that make my efforts look like a Parkrun.

I'll be racing Ironman Wales again, and being 'only' 2 hours off Kona qualification in my first attempt, maybe Hawaii one day may be a thing...





Images: Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment